Friday, February 25, 2011

Awkwardness...

I have often been told that I am one of the most gifted embracers of awkwardness that people have ever seen. This means two things 1) I am awesome...2) I am awesome at creating, being involved in, finding my way to, negotiating, encouraging AWKWARD situations.

So, I figured, why hide this talent under a bushel? Here's to the candle stick!

Last night, I was playing some church basketball. First off, let me explain that I live in a somewhat unique situation. Because of living at University housing, our congregation is made up of fairly newly married folks, and all who live there must have at least one person attending the University. That makes for a fairly homogeneous group. Further, only the ladies play on Thursday nights. I quite like it.

Generally, they have older church members who are from the community (a.k.a. not students and generally in their 40s or 50s ref for us). I was talking to one such gentleman last night. He is a great guy. He is a professor in the Poli Sci department at BYU. Though I didn't take any classes from him, I had lots of friends who did. I was so excited to see him and reconnect with life at my alma-mater.

Anyway, as we talked about various class members (please keep in mind that I had never talked to this man before i.e. he has no clue about me except this conversation and that I am probably a member of the congregation there), I mentioned a kid I knew in my undergrad that knew this professor really well. I had had a major crush on this kid previous to meeting my husband as in like I kind of still had a thing for this kid while going on my first date with my now husband. Anyway, me and my over exuberant nature got in the way.

The Professor's face lit up when I mentioned this kids name. Then he turned to me and said, "Man, he is a great guy!" I replied, " Yeah, I know, he really is." Then he said, "Yeah, man, I don't know why he isn't married." NOW IS THE AWKWARD PART...I don't know if I was just full of a lot of air or if I just felt I needed to stress my reply or what...but I replied, " Don't I know it." Only, I kind of screamed/exhaled deeply while saying it.

This could be a surprising tone for anyone saying anything really...but it was kind of unfortunate that it came out while talking about a guy not my husband who I used to crush on...anyway, I just followed it up with a huge smile pretending like I used that kind of exuberance all the time...and then I went home and told Parker that I just labeled myself a hooch to one of the most respectable men over our congregation...alas, if only he knew how truly hooch-less I am.

Moral: I dig my husband A LOT, and occasionally, I have poor breath support when it really counts.

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love that story. So funny. Also I thnk you should come to BYU Law school because then I will be here, except wait I will be moving to Salt Lake-ish area soon so you should go to Utah Law. Hmmm well Whatever you choose I'm so excited for you! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Bekah! Flashback to Norma's. Those were good times. I love this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha!!! Oh Bekah. You're awesome. Now I want to know which professor it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Ha! Ha! Bekah you're awesome and funny! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete