Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"The Decided are Always Gentle"

I was recently reading a talk that James E. Faust gave to young law students in 2003. The whole talk can be accessed here link. The talk was excellent, but the phrase that has stuck out most in my mind was a line from President Faust's introducer. As he talked about the many wonderful accolades and attributes of James E. Faust, he told a story in which he summed up this man in the phrase "The Decided are Always Gentle."

I instantly fell in love with this phrase. It may not be apparent immediately why I would love this phrase so much...but just think through it a few times.

The Decided are Always Gentle." What could that mean?

Any guesses? What does it mean to you? I think that I will leave that question and give you my answer after I have heard some of your responses.

Hope you are having a good day :-)

3 comments:

  1. Hhhmmmm, I think we're all having a difficult time with this one. However, I have an opinion. I'll be gentle giving it. :-) I'm thinking it has to do with the phrase "gentle persuasion." When you are firm on your point of view, opinion, stance or belief on whatever issue or situation you don't try to persuade others through disrespectful hammering or chipping away of their reasoning or belief. When we are "decided" on our opinions and reasoning only through gentle persuasion, respect, and love should we seek to influence the opinion of others. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly right! Thanks for venturing a guess Julia/Hyrum! I shall now blog about why I love this. You are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I was thinking (I promise...but I'm not just trying to sound smart...but shoot, now I just look like a hoser). Anyways, that IS a great quote. I think that is a great goal, I'm sure you will be that way as a lawyer.

    ReplyDelete