Thursday, September 22, 2011

Progress.


Getting a picture of just your eye that doesn't look creepy, is pretty hard, and I think that I failed. So, sorry!

I have been contemplating what to say in this post for a while. But, I haven't had the courage to write it. So, here I am, putting off homework, sitting on my couch, and I suppose now is as good as any time to dive right in :-)

The picture above is important because of my eyebrow. Look how nice and full it looks, how it's living up to its potential as an eyebrow. This is new for me.

For most of my life, my eyebrows have always just quit at about 2/3s the length of other peoples. Just ended. My mom's eyebrows are the same, so I figured it was a familial trait, but much to my surprise, this is not the case.

For the last year or so, I have really struggled with fatigue. I figured that I was just tired because I was working so much, tired from working out too, tired from stress, and yet, there was really never a moment when I didn't want to sleep. Never. I could sleep for 12 hours straight, get up, and want to just go back to sleep.

My appetite was funky too. I was very rarely hungry. Like almost never. I would of course eat, because HELLO food, I love food, but I was not really hungry for it except maybe in the morning.

Also, I am not sure if any of you noticed, but I did a bunch-o-athletic stuff, in other words, I worked my little bottom off running, working out, etc. I saw the slightest bit of weight loss from this, but it was minimal at best. This was not only physically frustrating but emotionally taxing.

I also am somewhat of an insomniac. I am sooooooo tired often that it is hard for me to think, but when I lay down at night to go to bed, it takes sometimes hours to fall asleep.

The list could go on of weird things that I figured were just Bekah-isms, but it all comes down to this.

Something is up with my body. I have begun the process of figuring out what that is. After some preliminary tests, the doctors have diagnosed me with Hypothyroidism.

The hypothyroidism really explains all of the symptoms just described, but not all of the symptoms that I have. So, there is more testing to come!

Who knew that hypothyroidism could cause eyebrow loss? Not me, but I do now.

I have started medication for my hypothyroidism, hence what appears to be the new eyebrow growth! But, I do not think the dosage is quite right yet, so the fatigue is still there.

It also appears that I have had this for some time. The normal scale for what your thyroid should test at is .45 to 4.5, per usual, I am an overachiever, ranking at 14.4 :-) Now, this is not nearly as bad as it could be, and for that, I am super grateful, but it will still be a process to figure out the correct dosage for that.

Here is what I would like to end with. First, as a result of the millions of things that your thyroid controls in your body, I have truly not felt myself for a very long time. On Tuesday night, I came home, and Parker and I were talking on the bed, I don't recall what about, but I started to laugh, and then kept laughing and laughing and laughing. I felt a sensation of elation that I have not felt for a very long time, and I realized that the old me was coming back, that at least for those few moments it was there, and I would be myself again in time.

Second thing, the medicine I am taking has a small side effect of some hair loss. I was naturally a bit concerned about this. I have not noticed it too much on my head, but let me tell you what, my pubes are going like hot cakes...probably too much info, but who can't find that funny? I know I sure do, every time I wipe.

Third thing, I KNOW THIS IS NOT A UNIQUE STORY. So many other people have this, it is a very common disorder, and pretty easy to treat, so that is wonderful. I am more concerned about the unsolved mysteries of my body still to be discovered, and I am very grateful that this one is at least decided. So, please do not think this post was to call attention to myself, to make you think I feel that I am dying, to alarm you or create pity in you for me. NAY. I just figured it was time to be real about one of the struggles I am dealing with in my life.

Fourth thing, in an attempt to help out my body, I am doing a 30 day challenge with myself. This will mostly involve diet and exercise. Making sure I am only taking into my body those things that are packed with nutrients as a way to hopefully help it to heal itself in some measure. As a result, I plan to eat within strict guidelines, but I figured a good way to keep myself on track with that, would be do a daily update of what deliciously healthy things I was treating myself to.

In this way, my struggle can become an adventure, and one we can all share together :-) Bring on the new phase of my blog: PROJECT UTOPIA will commence Monday. SO STAY TUNED.

4 comments:

  1. wow bekah. I'm glad to hear you're figuring stuff out. I hope everything else gets worked out soon for you. but oh my oh my I laughed really hard about some of these details--location of hair loss anyone? haha. Also, I love the name Project Utopia. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on the same journey to finding myself again. Once I found out from blood testing that I too was Hypothyroid(ic? hehe) and started to treat it Jonny said "WOw, I am so glad my Liz is back!" I had been a sad excuse for a person. Sleeping constantly, crying at a drop of a hat being VERY MOODY poor Jonny.

    I was put on progesterone cream (because my body wasn't producing it itself therefor the thyroid wasn't functioning without this essential hormone) and a T3/T4 pill(?) Anyways, dramatic results. But it was expensive and not covered by insurance. Then a friend introduced me to M'lis (www.mlis.com) she works for them and new my situation. She introduced me to their natural hormone replacement and I made the switch. Same great results half the price.

    Plus she said instead of the drugs I was taking telling my body "ok guys, don't worry you can give up now we will take it from here" and totally shutting down my ability to produce these hormones myself because of the dependance on the meds what I am using now, and would have to for life, is promoting my bodies ability to once again make it for itself like "Ok everybody, back to work! Here is what you need to support your functions, get to it" and I think she was right.

    So if you want check it out. They also have great cleanses to use as a jumpstart. I us the yam cream, and the balance natural hormone therapy, and thyroid endocrine support.

    I have also used their probiotic and digestive enzymes for other unrelated body issues;-) and it has been a complete success! I don't use them anymore and my problems have not reoccurred!

    So I don't mean to take over your blog :) everything you said just struck a chord with me. Little did I know about the eyebrows!!!! Mine too have always stopped 2/3 and I thought it was because I was a blondie or something but my other eyebrows were dark soo... and after treatment I noticed they were full. I had no idea it was related! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously. Definitely laughed out loud at the hair loss paragraph and said out loud, "Oh crap..." you really put that in your blog. :) That's what I love about you-- no holding back! I'm glad you're finding out how to fix your body, step by step, and I'm also excited you'll be doing more blog posts about it. I'm sure you have a whole slew of fans and cheerleaders anxious to hear how things progress. This girl is holding up the huge tacky #1 foam finger because I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I hope Justin secretly reads this post.

    ReplyDelete