Thursday, January 13, 2011

LAW SCHOOL!!!!

Alright readers, I figured that I should include you on the wait to find out where I am going to law school. It is, after all, killing me to have to be patient, thus I figured why not let you in on the agonizing pain of THE WAIT :-)

First, let me just set the stage. Parker, my beloved and oh so handsome husband, still has three and a half years left before he graduates from the University of Utah. He will, at that time, be graduating with a Masters, but he is planning on doing the joint B.S./M.S. Computer Science degree. As a result, my options are a bit limited as far as law school is concerned, seeing as I would like to live with my husband during the next three years. I know that everyone has that special story about some couple that was much more magnificent than us, who were able to be at different schools, in different states etc...but I don't think I am cut out for that. Where Parker goes, I will go, and where I am, HE WILL BE! So, anyway, THAT SAID, Parker has told me many times, that he is happy to go wherever I want to. BUT WHERE IS THAT? Yikes, that is the question huh?

HMMMmmmm, well, marriage complicates things as you can see, but complicated doesn't mean bad. It certainly has limited my options of where to apply, but in the end, I think everything will work out just fine.

Let's talk application fees. Every school charges you to apply there...lame...but probably smart too, without the deterrent of a fee...probably everyone would apply to Harvard, because what have they got to lose? You following me? Generally, those fees range between $50.00-$80.00 per school. THAT ADDS UP QUICK. Additionally, we all have to go through this organization called LSAC to assemble our application, and they charge a $12.00 fee per school you apply to as well. So, in essence, per school, just to apply, there is generally a fee of $62.00 - $92.00 per application. In our world, that means like 8-12 Cafe Rio salads just to have a bit of paper turned in. LAME.

Complicating matters more, Parker and I really only have a plan for if I get into the U or BYU, and our plan for BYU is still a little hazy...so this begs the question, why apply anywhere that you don't think you will actually go to...and further, why pay a bunch of money to just see if you can get in somewhere that you won't actually go?

SOOOOOO, where did I apply you may be wondering???? Well, I am proud to say that I did not pay a single application fee. Not one! After you take the LSAT, like millions of application fee waivers start coming into your inbox from different schools that really want you to go there. Usually, they are to no-name schools, but occasionally, you get some real treasures. The funniest part to me, is the randomness of it. I have had schools way out of my league, contact me, tell me I am perfect for their school, and waive their application fee without me asking....case and point, DUKE, and I have had other schools, that I ACTUALLY am perfect for based on the class profile, turn me down when I wrote them for an application fee waiver, case and point UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON. Luckily, BYU and the U were giving of the application fee waivers. The others are just thrown in their for fun.

So here is the WAIT AND SEE list folks! I have cataloged each school based on TIER, RANK, LOCATION, AND TUITION AMOUNT FOR THE FIRST YEAR.

Tier

Rank (U.S. News)

University

Location

Tuition First Year

1

11

Duke

Durham, NC

$46,930.00

1

28

William and Mary

Williamsburg, VA

$24,375.00

1

41

Brigham Young University

Provo, UT

$10,000.00

1

43

University of Utah

Salt Lake City, UT

$18,000.00

1

64

Baylor

Waco, TX

$26,096.00

1

72

Temple

Philadelphia, PA

$30,000.00


So far, if I got in to Duke, we have a semi-plan for Parker's school, but we are mostly crossing our fingers for the Utah schools seeing as they are the cheapest and pretty well ranked. The problem with Temple is that I would need to learn how to spell Philadelphia...and I still mess it up every time I try to do it on my own...without auto correct.

Anyway, where do you think I should go????? I am all ears. The application period isn't through yet folks :-) Cast your votes!

P.S. The researcher in me feels I must include a source for my information: most of it was accessed from the U.S. News Rankings for 2010 which can be located here. Any conflicting information was gathered from the law school's individual websites.

7 comments:

  1. BEKAH- I. LOVE. YOU.
    I feel a part of this process now, just knowing all this information! Yay.
    You have a great list of universities. I'm so excited for you! Other than the Utah schools (which you will most likely be admitted to BOTH), I am a fan of William & Mary. The tuition isn't too bad if that is for an entire year AND Virginia is BEAUTIFUL. They also have the best brand ice cream there- Bluebell. That would be a huge motivator for me. :)
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. So I'm going to stand on my soapbox and preach for a minute. The truth is, ranking may get you in the door at a law firm as a first year, but hard work (both in law school and out)is what will land you the good job (and good $$)in the long run. I went to a lower ranked law school, but my student loan debt is pennies compared to my lawyer friends in town and guess what- for the most part we all make the same amount of $$ (give or take a couple thousand a year). Case in point, I have 5 friends who went to average law schools (not Duke), and their student loan monthly payment is equivelant to my mortgage (for the next 30 years!) My monthly payment is more like a 1998 Honda. The lifestyle difference (which is what matters to most peeps) is this- if I want to do something different with my life (i.e not be a lawyer or, be a mom), I can because I don't have big loans, but my friends- they are stuck. They have to do this the rest of their lives because they have to make a certain amount of $$ each year to pay back their loans. So, here is my advice- go with the less expensive schools. BYU- great school, good rep. and not too expensive (I will cross my fingers you get in!)
    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well.. If you went to Duke, you'd be down the street from my parents house. Which is cool, and it's pretty there. Though I wouldn't want to pay that much. BYU has a pretty good rep, although I've heard from my brothers employers that BYU lawyers make for crappy employees. Utah would be awesome!!! Very affordable, comparing the other schools, I've heard a lot of good things about the U's program. And you could stay in your apartment, how nice would that be, to not have to move!! I think the U sounds like a very good choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go to the cheapest school that you can get into!!! Are you planning on working every year after you graduate? Nothing will suck more than paying $500/mo. for student loans when you are taking a break from working, if that is what you decide to do during the busiest time of having little one(s). Maybe it is rude of me to assume you will be taking out loans at all. Having less school debt gives you more options within your career. Speaking from personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what "Deters" & "Mama Nirvana" had to say. Although I can't speak from experience of course. A great follow up to this post would be the story of your journey on deciding to go to Law School. I would love to read about that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eck, I remember all this too well with the med school apps. I feel for you girl. I, of course, am going to vote for PA...I mean come on, have you ever had a REAL philly cheese steak, A-MA-ZING. But really I hope you get into a UT school for your own convenience. Good luck girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bekah-I posted a comment on here the day you wrote this, but going back, it doesn't look like it loaded-I hope this one gets through. Basically, I agree with deters and mama nirvana. I think you also have to take into consideration your motivation for going and what your future plans with the education are. In my case, I would like to work for as long as it takes for me to pay off my school loans for my masters. I got it because I want to help children and have marketable skills in case something should happen to my husband. Less student loans for me = working less and making family plans sooner. Of course, life comes and you work with it, so things may change. I'm sure you have your own motivations and plans of what you want to do with it, which is great! I would say go for the least amount of debt possible. If you get a scholarship to a place and the tuition is cheaper there, go for it! I'm certain though, that you will go to a great school and make the best decision that is right for you guys! Love you and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete