Friday, January 13, 2012

First Ultrasound and the First Trimester

I had my first ultrasound at seven weeks. Naturally, we weren't sure at the time of scheduling whether I was 7 weeks or more like 11 weeks, but we felt confident it would be one of those two. I was just about as nervous as a person can be before going to this ultrasound.

Because of all the health concerns and issues relating to my whole womanly self, I was not very confident in my body or its ability to successfully carrying this little munchkin. There was a week when I spent nearly everyday sure that I would miscarry...not because my body was doing anything, but because I couldn't really believe how my body would be able to pull this off. Because I found out that I was pregnant, all the testing was put on hold. I wondered for weeks what my womb even looked like... I mean after so many months of no maintenance...who knows what was floating around in there?

I was very grateful to have Parker for this part. He was so patient with me and even helped me figure out good methods to keep me optimistic when I felt the fear and panic setting in. I ultimately realized that if I didn't change my attitude, I would worry myself into a miscarriage.

It occurred to me that I planned no part of getting this baby here in the first place, so it seemed awfully silly that I thought now, I could somehow control things. Nay. Heavenly Father has had my back from the get go. Once I realized for good or bad, I just had to trust that things were going to be as they SHOULD be, I really began to enjoy the pregnancy.

Also, let me clarify this. Parker and I were very surprised about this pregnancy, but we were overjoyed. It wasn't as in "we weren't planning to have a baby...," it was a surprise as in, "we weren't thinking I could have a baby..." So, we felt immensely blessed.

Anyway, as far as the first trimester goes, I was incredibly tired. I had a record four naps in a single day. But no sickness. None.

The first trimester went swimmingly. I was healthy as could be. I couldn't ask for a better pregnancy.

1 comment:

  1. Bekah, I loved this post. You have such a great perspective and I'm so excited for the two of you to be parents. You're going to be incredible parents and I'm so so happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete