Friday, January 6, 2012

Aruba


Yes dear friends, that is where I have been for the last two weeks. We come home today. Barring one massive slam of my arm into a staircase banister on my frantic flight to the incredible fireworks on New Year's Eve and the result massive black/purple bruise on my arm, as well as, one rather brisk wave which sent me reeling...and straight toward Parker..little did I know his knee was sticking straight out and we al know waves split apart your legs, so I suppose you can imagine what occurred there. However, aside from those two incidences, I am happy to report all well and safe. An amazing feat for someone of my clumsy-ness caliber.

It has been a relaxing trip made possible by the generous Randy Wightman frequent flier and hotel points fund...and still I have wondered if we could really afford to take this trip. It was a whole Wightman Family Vacation and that has been really fun, but it is sure hard to ever feel like you can "afford" a vacation when student loans are ever present and only building with the start of a new term.

In case you aren't sure, Aruba is just off the coast of Venezuela and it is lovely. A small little island with just blue water, sandy beaches, and palm trees all around. Delightful. Truly. Anyway, I would like to inform you that we did in fact bring our camera on this trip, and I think I got maybe two pictures before the battery ran out...next step, bring the charger! So, we are getting there, slow but sure. However, I think the rest of the family has taken some lovely pictures of us, so you have that to look forward to.

It has been an adventure in reading. I love to read and so does Parker, but we have almost zero time to do it regularly. This trip offered just such an occasion. I read Wuthering Heights and the Book Thief. Here's the thing. I should write another blog post just on those two. I expect to finish the Book Thief today and begin Fellowship of the Ring on the plane ride home.

Anyway, we return state-side today and should be home tonight. Huzzah! Also, I haven't forgotten about the post that tells about all things baby, but as we will be finding out on Thursday if we are having a boy or a girl, I figured I would save the whole story and post it with that exciting news. So, if you haven't yet voted about our baby's stats...please visit here.

Um, to end this post...I have questions.

First, have you been to Aruba?

Second, have you read Wuthering Heights and what did you think?

Third, have you read the Book Thief and what did you think?

Is Fellowship of the Ring a hard read? I struggled to get through the Hobbit, and failed...so I am a little apprehensive about this one, but Parker insists I read it, and I truly want to love it. So, there is that.

8 comments:

  1. WHAT????? ARUBA?????? Oh, I am green with envy right now. Seriously.

    And I love Wuthering Heights. Even though I hate all the characters (I think that's supposed to happen) I love the way Emily Bronte develops them. It's been a few years since I read it but I prefer Jane Austen classics more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the fellowship of the ring a much easier read than the hobbit. I struggled with the hobbit as well, but enjoyed the fellowship quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet trip! You'll have to tell me more about it.

    Wuthering Heights happens to be one of my very favorite books ever, but I never suggest it to people because, well, ya. We'll have to talk about it too.

    Brian just read the Book Thief, and now I'm going to read it. I am nervous though, because sad things affect me so much stronger lately :)

    And I actually thought The Hobbit was an easier read than Fellowship, but I like the plot of Fellowship better so that makes it easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aruba sounds wonderful. I am very jealous.

    I've read the Book Thief, though I haven't read the other two. I really liked the Book Thief. I don't know if "like" is a good word to describe how I felt about the book but it was very interesting especially the story is told from a different perspective. It's one of those books that really got me thinking a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aruba, awesome. Book thief and wuthering heights are both good though book thief is a really quick read and if course it's about war so it's sad. Wuthering heights is worse in terms of emotional consequences but it is worth reading!! I would read it first. Couldn't make it through the first 100 pages of fellowship (I didn't like hobbit either) butt my husband who isn't a big reader liked it. he said it picks up in the last of the book and the other two books are better. Whatever...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it looks like I don't have much to contribute to your fun discussion questions. I haven't been out of the country or read any of those books... but I look forward to reading "The Book Thief" since you suggested it. Also... I shake my head at your forgotten camera charger; but I'm proud of you for at least taking two pictures! Aruba sounds lovely and I'm glad you got to relax and soak in the reading time! Now... back to the grind stone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looooooved The Book Thief. I read it on my flight to Swizerland a couple years ago. Other people were fighting over it to read on the way home. I think it is fantastic. Also, WAY jealous you got to go to Aruba while the rest of us stayed in icantdecideifitswinterorspringUTAH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Not even close
    2. Yes, it's a good book and though I don't feel the need to read it again it's one of those classics that is nice to cross off your list.
    3. I loved The Book Thief so much. It's one of those ones that haunts you when you finish it, but not in a bad way.
    4. I got through the Hobbit just fine, managed Fellowship of the Ring, but never finished the second book. Always worth a try!

    ReplyDelete