Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Clementines


Last night, Parker and I had to run to the store. While there, I notice a beautiful bag of clementines. They looked so appealing, and they were even on sale. So, I decided to buy a bag. Within minutes of leaving the store, I was already sinking my fingernails into that soft thin peel. In no time, I had taken the entire peel off, and I sat there in our car for a minute taking in the delicious fragrance of that single clementine. Then of course, I ate it...I shared a little with Parker, but he was driving, and I always look out for our safety first, so I knew that I would have to shoulder the burden of downing the majority of that small clementine.

But it made me reflect a bit on life. There are few smells that bring the rush of Christmastime joy like a good clementine. I would say a freshly cut Christmas Tree has a similar effect, but somehow clementines bring back thoughts of gratitude for years past quicker than any other Christmastime symbol.

I think this is because when I was little, I remember hearing so many stories in primary and at home, and just throughout the Christmas season about how oranges used to be so rare and expensive, and sometimes all children would get at Christmas was a single clementine or orange. This was of course reinforced by "Little Women." It is only around Christmastime that you even see an orange...and each slice is eaten with such care. And the really poor german professor...Professor Bear who falls in love with Jo and who Jo falls in love with in the end...he gives her an orange. So you can see that a lot of memories were brought back last night as I ate my clementine.

I guess I just feel so fortunate. I mean just to demonstrate how blessed I am...I ate three clementines in about 15 minutes last night. I brought three to work with me today, and when I go home tonight, there will still be several clementines resting happily in the fridge awaiting my return.

It is truly humbling to realize just how generous those around me have been my whole life. I am very grateful for this holiday season. Everything about it makes me giddy. I just love this time of year, and I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to give back if even in very small ways. After all, despite our budget looking meager to me, we are still so much more fortunate than so many, and I am thankful that this season creates a spirit of giving and a willingness to accept. Anyway, who knew a clementine could provoke such thought? I certainly didn't. But I am glad all the same. Thank goodness for these little reminders in our lives.

3 comments:

  1. I love the Clementines because they're so much easier to eat than the oranges.

    My favorite part about Little Women is how they say "Marmie."

    ReplyDelete
  2. See we all get something different out of that movie....clearly it touched you too :-) Also, are you pysched out of your mind for our killer roadtrip next week? Also, thanks for reading my blog, sometimes I think I am talking to the wall...and sometimes I am right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am super excited to get out of the 'tah! and into the.. 'fornia? That sounds wrong...

    ReplyDelete