Monday, December 6, 2010

My favorite things...

So, I am terrible at taking pictures of our life. Our children will just have to take it on faith that we didn't just shack it up one night when we had them...because there is almost no proof that we even do things together...but I promise we do.

I have a co-worker whose husband is from Mexico. They are having to go through the whole citizenship process right now. I have become oh so grateful that Parker is not foreign, the poor kid wouldn't stand a chance at proving his viable relationship with me, total lack of pictorial evidence for sure.

This is all a very long introduction to say that we celebrated what has got to be the coolest tradition in the Wightman family last night. I LOVE this tradition. Ever since I started dating Parker, even before I knew that I would marry him, I coveted this tradition. But, I have no pictures from this blessed event. Don't hate.

ARE YOU DYING TO KNOW WHAT THIS TRADITION IS?????????????????????????????????????


It's called Christmas Kick-off. Now before I explain it, I am fairly certain that someone out there will have this tradition in their family too. I am not claiming this to be unique to the Wightmans, but I am claiming that I never experienced and/or heard of it before I met Parker. It will change your life...so only proceed reading if you are ready to be changed...
FOREVER.

Christmas Kick-off ushers in the Christmas season, and I love it. Parker's parents are so wonderful and generous, they make it so fun for all of us. Let me set the scene...imagine the most glorious dinner you have ever tasted.
Ham
Funeral Potatoes
Glazed Carrots
Rolls
and soooooooo much of all of it.

K, fastforward a bit now....the lights grow dim. Christmas tunes from yesteryear play delightfully and low in the background. We sit at the table, except now we have beautiful Christmas plates laid in front of us. On each plate rests a Christmas striped, chocolate dipped Strawberry. Next to the Strawberry lies an individualized Christmas card for each member of the family. We begin by opening our cards and finding treasures inside and a sweet personalized note. THEN, the toasting begins. Next to each Christmas plate rests a Christmas glass, just the size for toasting. Sparkling cider is opened, each glass is filled, and there in the dim light, we each toast for the good things that have happened throughout the year. It is wonderful!

This year, there were a couple presents to open too, group presents...games :-) I am so excited about them. I love games, so this was especially exciting for me. We have recently gained a pretty serious love affair of trivial pursuit in the Wightman family; only, the game we had was made in the 80's, so all the questions were pretty dated. We are very much looking forward to having some awesomely updated questions!

THEN, the whole family gathered together and watched Charlie Brown Christmas and Mr. Krueger's Christmas. My goodness, I know that Mr. Krueger's Christmas is only like 20 minutes, but I am flooding the room with tears by like minute two. I don't know why I do this to myself year in and year out...but I do love that movie. Jimmy Stuart is awesome, and I just love the message of it all.

Anyway, that was our Christmas Kick-off. It may not sound like much to you, but oh my goodness, this always transforms the Christmas season for me, and helps me to be in the right perspective for the coming days and weeks until that wonderful day!

4 comments:

  1. Can I be invited next year? I LOVE stuff like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful tradition, almost like a pre-Christmas Christmas, if you know what I mean. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I was just telling Steven we need to start celebrating Christmas earlier this year so since we are going to Seattle we started to read a Christmas story every night, make a Christmas treat and eat it, and let Evie open one of her presents so we don't have to haul it to Seattle. I'm very tempted to steal your tradition Bekah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not mine...so I say steal it away :-) It's wonderful. For reals...not even kidding. And Mary, I will see what I can do about an invite. And Andrea, it totally is a little pre-Christmas Christmas...is rocks.

    ReplyDelete